Unit 3 – Thematic Project – Digital Storytelling – Photo Narrative Series

SHEET, CELL 2-B DRAFT OUTLINE OF PROJECT - THEME SELECTED - PHOTOGRAPHIC CONTENT AND APPROACH - POST TO WP / LINK TO UNIT 3 URL IN BBL DISCUSSION - ALSO POST - IN THE SHARED GOOGLE SPREAD - YOUR PERSONAL

It was difficult to choose from the two (loosely used) themes. I’ve decided to use “return to water” as my theme.

I am going to Seattle ( I live in Victoria B.C.) for my birthday this week, And I’ve decided to bring my camera to take some pictures of the city and surroundings. I’m not going to take water so literally. I want to use it to show the flow (water flow) of city life through a metropolitan city post covid.

I haven’t decided what direction I wanted to with it yet, I was thinking of doing a “the flow of life through the LGBTQ” in a big city or just the city in general. Being a gay man, I’ve always been scared to show my true colors in my hometown and for the first years of my 20s. Now, I’ve fully accepted myself and I feel like I can take very passionate and powerful photos if I have that focus point in my mind.

I feel like taking the pictures in Seattle will be a good addition to the theme because it’s a coastal city, built around water. I’m very excited to do this project and tell a story through our pictures!

4 edited pictures + 250 word outline

The theme I picked was water. My approach to this will be showing the flow of 2 different coastal cities. My first 4 pictures were taken in Seattle, WA. I did a lot of walking and took a lot of pictures of just about everything. For me. The flow of a big city has a lot to do with how it looks and how people buy into the aesthetics and atmosphere of how their surroundings are.

Here are some of my top thumbnail pics from my pictures at Seattle

Photo 1

This is the start of my gallery. I wanted to start with the Ferris wheel that is in the pier in Seattle. This represents one of Seattle’s major tourist attractions. A majority of travelers would start here and make their way into the city (at least that’s how my flow went. Touring around a city on the coast really adds an extra sense of smell, sites, and emotion.

Photo 2

My second photo would be inside the famous “Pike Place Market”. This place was very touristy and the flow of people was very fast. It was such a huge contrast from the open area around the pier, to this quick, tight place. The flashiness of the neon signs and all the fresh seafood, boutiques, and restaurants made Seattle feel like it was breathing and full of life.

Photo 3

A lot of signs have peaked my interest. This neon sign was close to the end of the market. When I saw that I felt how these kinds of signs were a recurring theme in Seattle. When I e neon signs I immediately think of the water now.

Photo 4

This was a shot I had to take a picture of. While this is a bit off theme with “water” I think it fits in a different way. Walking around, I have noticed a lot of modern, mid-century modern aesthetics being used. Lots of shops in the cities had plants, wood finish, and modern simple typefaces. This picture captured that perfectly. There is such a big contrast When you go from the loud and flashy waterfront neon signs to these calm and peaceful signs that make you feel at ease (and make you want to buy everything in the shop.)

These will be the only photos I will be using for Seattle. My next group of photos for this project will be in Victoria, BC. I will take pictures that show similarities and contrasts between the two ocean-side cities.

Working Progress March 21 + -WORK IN PROGRESS / INCLUDING ADDITIONAL IMAGES, SELECTIONS + REFINE EDITING APPROACHES March 28 – Victoria

I don’t have many photos in this set with your recommendations ( apologies). For the next set, I will be including pictures of movement from the city. I have never really taken the time to look at the small things in Victoria, I have never realized how much character this small town has. Every corner you turn there is a hidden gem or an ancient brick building with a story. My walk will show the vibrant city of Victoria and its many colors.

Photo 1

I tried to add some of your suggestions on movement in this next work in progress. This is the beginning of the flow-through Victoria. China town is just one small street but they have truly captured the essence of a different country. I tried to capture a still of how busy this street is, all the signs, lanterns, and colours can really make you feel like you’re in a different world. Continuing with my editing style for this project, I will be making the pictures bright and vibrant.

Photo 2

Following the flow of the city, from Chinatown into Fantan alley. This unique alley has 24 small shops scattered in it. It is between two large brick buildings giving it a really unique atmosphere. I’m a local but every time I walk down it I feel like a tourist. I wanted to enhance the colors and add a bit of a fade to show how this nook feels like in person.

Photo 3

After you pop out of the other end of Fantan alley, you reach Pandora st. Pandora street has a very olden times feel to it, each shop along it is so elegant and poised. It has a completely different aesthetic compared so the other parts of town.

Photo 4

Friends of Dorothy. Following the natural flow of the city, it will bring you to Johnston street. Johnston street has 2 gay bars one being Friends of Dorothy. FOD is the first building you see on johnston st, which is one of the main streets in downtown Victoria. It’s liberating to see the LGBTQ community being one of the first things you see when entering downtown. Victoria has come a long way with acceptance and that deserves to be talked about. I enhance the vibrancy of the photo so the prideful colors can be seen.

Photo 5

Victorias legislature. On the outskirts of downtown Victoria is this magnificent building. The legislature was built in 1898 and it has really held up it’s old characteristics well. This big castle-like building has gorgeous gardens surrounding it with a big water fountain in the middle of the walkway. Walking along and around it, you can enjoy the sea salt wind mixed with the freshness of the flowers as you take in the sights of the city and this building. The water fountain is as strong as ever, this is a big staple for the city of Victoria

Work in progress, further direction. – April 3rd

I have seen your comments and I’ve been waiting to get out on a nicer evening to catch some motion pictures. My vision is to get a photo with an open lens of a bridge going over water, and having cars coming and going so I capture a light stream of them. I will end up having more photos of pictures in Victoria, that being said I still believe that the theme of showing the flow of two coastal cities will be my main focus.

In the photo above, you can see that I attempted to get some blur focus images. I quickly found out that you have to take it at night or during dawn/dusk. The light is too bright in the middle of the day, even if you turn down the brightness in lightroom classic, it doesn’t adjust properly.

Here are a couple more photos I wanted to add. I am changing my wheel photo because Roberta mentioned that the wheel isn’t the focal point. So I found this photo, But I wanted to crop photoshop the lamp out so The wheel is the main focus. I was thinking of adding this man for the Seattle portion of my project, I saw him playing the violin on the street while I was walking and it really added to the experience of flowing through Seattle, I edited the photo to black and white so you can just focus on his smile.

Final Powerpoint & Narrated Presentation

Here is my final project. I had a blast walking around and getting pictures for this. It was fun to edit and create a story for it all. I apologize for not getting a motion blur photo. After thinking about it, I didn’t think it would fit my theme. I wanted to show the flow through still photos and I think I did that well. Victoria and Seattle are two places that I would recommend visiting. I am happy with how my editing turned out, I made some photos very saturated and vibrant where they were applicable, and some lower toned with elegance. Thank you so much for giving me feedback and I hope you enjoy it!